As parents, grandparents, relatives and family friends, we are acutely aware of all they will need to know as they learn and grow.
Six months ago I became a grandma for the first time, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch this young life developing before my eyes ~ his individual character coming through, self-expression making itself felt, joy being his default mood most days!
I look forward to cuddling and cossetting him as the young baby he still is.
He settles briefly, enjoying the contact, even as he yearns to wriggle free, grow away from protective arms and move independently.
He’s ready for new experiences, some embraced swiftly and others he’s more cautious about.
We think of all we can teach and help him with in the months and years to come.
But have you considered just how much little ones can teach us?
It’s worth a thought.
Here’s an example of what babies teach us:
- What goes in must come out somewhere
- Comfort = a full tummy, warm embrace and a personal slave
- Crying, kicking and screaming are great ways to get attention
- Sleep is a luxury denied to new parents ~ most parents actually
- Unpredictability is the name of the game ~ keep ’em guessing
- Clothes are only worn to get them dirty
- I may be small but you’ll need a whole house/garage to store my stuff in
- Babies rule, OK?
And now for the more positive things we learn from them:
- Rest/nap when you need to ~ listen to your body
- Be fully present and alert when you’re awake
- Embrace each new day as an adventure, arms open ready to receive, mind willing to learn
- Know your limitations and seek to move beyond them at your own pace
- Be sociable and friendly ~ everyone needs a smile
- Hug those you love the most and who love you
- Trust daily needs to be provided for
- Learn how to listen and communicate with others
- Be willing to try/learn/enjoy something new every day
- Realise the importance of play as relaxation, therapy and education
- Enjoy life’s simple pleasures
- Express gratitude
- Be fully yourself
- Be true to your feelings
- Show love, give love and receive love
- Remember that you’re a unique, valuable, wonderful human being ~ just as you are
These are just a few things that infants and children can teach us. I’m sure you can think of some more!
“He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me” ~ Matthew 18:2-5
I’m encouraged by the thought that even tinies have things to teach us. And as we stay teachable in our spirits, God finds numerous ways to make His wisdom known to us, to open our eyes to life anew, and reveal more of His grace and joy in the everyday.